Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hawaiian Shoyu Chicken

I got this recipe from the World Wide Ward Christmas Cookbook and I love it - the recipe and the cookbook! My whole family loved the chicken. It is a great mellow teriyaki chicken. Ooh the sauce is yummy. I have a big Costco bag of boneless skinless chicken thighs in my freezer so I'm sure I'll be making this again soon.

Hawaiian Shoyu Chicken

1/4 cup soy sauce (Aloha Shoyu is the best! IMHO)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 lb chicken thighs (I used 6 boneless, skinless thighs)
sliced green onions (for topping)

Sauce:
dripping from pan
1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
about 1 tablespoon soy sauce 
1 tablespoon Carnet Foods Ultra gel (or cornstarch mixed with water)

Place chicken thighs in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. In a bowl combine: soy sauce, salt, garlic, oil, brown sugar and ginger, pour over chicken. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn chicken and bake another 20 minutes. Turn chicken again, cover with foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place chicken in a covered serving dish.

Strain liquids from pan into a saucepan and add Ultra Gel or cornstarch mixture, whisking. Bring to a boil. Add enough chicken broth to thin sauce to desired consistency and soy sauce. Serve chicken over rice with sauce spooned over. Garnish with sliced green onions. Can also drizzle with a little soy sauce if desired.

No comments: