Thursday, May 7, 2009

Big and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I got this recipe from Baking Blonde and though I don't think it will become my "go to" chocolate chip cookie recipe (I still love my sister-in-law's recipe, click HERE for the link) it was fun to make and the kids loved how huge they were. As a note, next time I make this recipe I think I'll make the cookies smaller, because these were so big!

Big and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk dry ingredients together and set aside. In the bowl of a mixer combine butter and sugars until thoroughly combined. Beat egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until combined. Stir in chips by hand.

Roll 1/2 cup of the dough into a ball.** Pull the dough ball apart evenly into 2 halves. Place the halves jagged surfaces up onto cookies sheets with AMPLE room between them (they spread quite a bit).

Bake, turning the cookie sheets half way through, for 10-16 minutes. Keep an eye on cookies and look for them to be golden brown with the outer edges hardened slightly, but the centers should still be soft and puffy. It took about 15 minutes in my oven. You don't want to over bake them though as they spread more and more when over baked.

Cool cookies on cookie sheets till they are able to be lifted without breaking, then transfer to wire racks to cool.

**Next time I'm going to drop the cookies by heaping tablespoons onto the cookie sheets, they were just so big that I felt like a bad mom having my kids eat these ginormous cookies - of course they didn't object in the slightest!:)

No comments: