Friday, January 9, 2009

Breadsticks

This is a superb recipe that has been going around our ward. I had these breadsticks at a get together a couple of weeks ago and had been wanting to make them ever since - they are so good!! We had them last night with Lentil Stew.


Breadsticks

1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water

Mix together and wait for bubbles.

Then add:

1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups flour

Mix for 5 minutes in an electric mixer with dough hook. Dough will be slightly sticky. Let rise for 45 minutes - 1 hour.

Punch down. Roll out dough on a floured surface into a long rectangle (I just rolled mine out as thin as I could on my tupperware pie crust sheet - next time I make them I'll measure the rectangle and update this recipe). Cut dough into strips (about 2" in width) with a pizza cutter. Fold ends together and twist to form breadsticks.

Melt 1/4 - 1/2 cup of butter (depending on how buttery you want them) and pour melted butter into the bottom of a jelly roll pan, making sure butter is evenly spread. Add breadstick twists to the pan. Brush tops of breadsticks with more melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan if desired. Cook for 12-14 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

A friend of yours led me to your blog, and I tried these today. They were very yummy! Thanks!