Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

This is an awesome cinnamon roll recipe. It's "cinnamon rolls III" from allrecipes.com. It's their top rated cinnamon roll recipe with almost 600 great reviews and I agree with them. So yummy!! We had these for breakfast this morning (I let them rise in the fridge overnight) and they were, of course, very well received - everyone loved them!

*BTW I figured out the calories and fat in these, out of morbid curiosity - they are about 300 calories and 14 grams of fat if you get about 19 rolls from the recipe like I did. Hey, if you limit yourself to one it's really not that bad, right??! And since I made these for breakfast I sent the rest to work with my hubby for his coworkers so that they aren't sitting around tempting me with their ooey gooey wonderfulness all day - I know the limits of my will power.:)


Cinnamon Rolls

1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix (that's 1/4 cup)
1 cup warm milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups bread flour (+ 1/4 cup for high altitude)
1 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon

Icing:
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar (I ended up adding a bit more)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons milk


In the pan of your bread machine, combine water, melted butter, vanilla pudding mix, warm milk, egg, 1 tablespoon sugar, salt, bread flour, and yeast. Set machine to "dough" cycle and let run.

When dough cycle is finished, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 17x10 inch rectangle. Spread with softened butter. In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle brown sugar cinnamon mixture over dough.

Roll up the dough, beginning with long side. Slice into 1 inch slices (I ended up cutting off the ends and getting 18 evenly sized rolls). Place rolls in a greased 9x13 pan (I got 6 rows with 3 rolls in each row). Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Or cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray and let sit in refrigerator overnight.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. While rolls bake, mix together ingredients for icing: cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk; beat together until smooth. Remove rolls from oven, let sit a few minutes and then spread with icing.

No comments: