Strawberries were on sale at Target today for super cheap, so I bought some and decided to make freezer jam. Now I have 11 jars of strawberry jam and the cost was about 50 cents each - yay!!
Strawberry Freezer Jam
(This is just the recipe from the Sure Jell Pectin box. I doubled this recipe and ended up using 3, 1 lb, containers of strawberries. My yield was 11, 8oz, jars.)
2 cups crushed strawberries
4 cups sugar
1, 1.75 oz, box fruit pectin
1. Wash and rinse jars or plastic containers with tight fitting lids.
2. Remove stems and leaves from strawberries and cut into chunks. In a bowl mash strawberries with a potato masher. Do not completely mash strawberries, there should be bits of fruit in the jam.
3. Measure out 2 cups of mashed berries and put into a large bowl.
4. Measure out exactly 4 cups of sugar and pour into another bowl.
5. Stir sugar into the mashed berries and mix well. Let sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir 1 box of pectin and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
7. Stir pectin into the mashed fruit and sugar mixture. Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy. Should take about 3 minutes.
8. Pour into prepared containers, leaving 1/2 inch space at top for expansion during freezing; cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Otherwise, store in the freezer for up to 1 year. Thaw in refrigerator.