Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

Sorry for the horrible picture. It looks like chicken casserole mush, but it's yummy. I have had this recipe forever. I actually got it at my bridal shower (so I guess I shouldn't say "forever" I'm not that old :)) from a lovely lady in my mom's ward (LDS church congregation). I cook it every few years when I am in the mood for a ubiquitous chicken casserole and it never disappoints. It is creamy and comforting and despite it's quite visible vegetables my kids love it. I served it with canned peaches and Magleby's rolls. I've always thought about doubling the sauce - cream of chicken, mayo, milk, lemon juice, and curry powder - to make it even creamier, but have never done it. Maybe next time I make it, in a few years :), I'll try it and report back.

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

1 pkg frozen broccoli florets
3-4 cups cooked and cubed chicken
1 can cream of chicken
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
3 cups cooked rice
1 cup shredded cheddar
paprika (optional)

Put broccoli and chicken in a big mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine cream of chicken, milk, lemon juice, mayo, and curry powder. Mix into the chicken and broccoli. Fold in the rice. Spread into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Sprinkle cheese over evenly. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese has melted.

No comments: