Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lion House Whole Wheat Bread

I love homemade bread and especially homemade wheat bread. I got this recipe from the new fantastic Lion House Bakery cookbook. I was so happy with how easy it was to make (it takes a while, but each step is easy) and how satisfying and delicious it was with the hamburger soup we had last night. Of course this bread is even better with a shmeer of butter and jam.

Lion House Whole Wheat Bread

1 tablespoon yeast (the recipe calls for 1 package of yeast, but I find at the high altitude that I live at adding a little more yeast works better)
3 cups lukewarm water
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup molasses (or honey if you don't have molasses)
6 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
6 tablespoons shortening
5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
2 cups all purpose flour

In the bowl of an electric mixer soften the yeast in the 3 cups of water. Add remaining ingredients in order listed and beat with dough hooks until dough forms a ball and leaves the sides of the bowl, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Oil a large bowl and place dough in bowl, turning to coat dough with oil. Cover loosely and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.*

Punch down dough and shape into 2 equal loaves. Place in 2 well greased loaf pans; cover with a clean towel and let rise until almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until loaves are a rich golden brown color. Turn loaves out onto a wire rack and cool. Brush tops with melted butter.

*A good place to let bread rise is in your oven. I preheat my oven to its lowest temp. (170 degrees) turn it off and then set the dough in the oven to rise with the door to the off left open a crack.

2 comments:

Cheryl G. said...

I found you through "Duck in a row".
I'm excited to find more recipes! I LOVE the idea of freezer meals!
Thank you for sharing!

Jenni said...

Hi Cheryl! Hope you like the recipes!:)