America's Test Kitchen Omelet
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1/8 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1 tablespoon butter, divided
1 teaspoon oil
toppings of choice: I used 2 tablespoon shredded Swiss cheese, 1/2 tablespoon sliced green onions, some chopped deli ham
- Take the tablespoon of butter and cut it in half. Set half of it out at room temp and cut the other half into little pieces and freeze for 10 minutes.
- While butter pieces are freezing, pour 1 teaspoon of oil into an omelet pan and heat on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Once butter has froze for 10 minutes and pan has heated combine eggs and egg yolk, salt and pepper in a bowl. Beat with a fork for 80 stroked (I know it sounds OCD but it works). Add frozen butter pieces to the eggs.
- Wipe oil out of the pan with a wad of paper towel leaving a thin film, then add the 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the pan and allow to melt. Add beaten egg mixture to the pan.
- With 2 chopsticks mix around the egg mixture until it begins to solidify (about 1 minute).
- Remove from heat and smooth out the eggs to an even layer in the pan with a spatula. Place a lid on the pan and allow to sit off the heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place toppings of choice on the eggs and place on low heat until cheese melts (about a minute).
- Roll omelet onto a plate and serve. Voila! A wonderfully creamy omelet!