Thursday, February 5, 2009

Julie's White Bread

This is my sister's white bread recipe and I think it's awesome!! Seriously the easiest bread I've ever made and it comes out fluffy and delicious (as all white bread should be:)). Great food storage recipe too as it has no eggs or butter in it (it does have lecithin in it though so I guess you have to be sure to store a big bottle of that). You can buy liquid or powdered lecithin in most natural food markets - I found a large bottle at Sprouts.


Julie's White Bread
-This recipe makes 2 loaves, I make it in my Kitchen Aid, but apparently if you have a Bosch mixer you can double this recipe to make 4 loaves.

5 1/4 - 5 1/2 cups white bread flour*
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 rounded tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons lecithin (or 1/6 cup oil - I've only made it with lecithin)
2 cups hot tap water

Pour ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer and mix for 1 minute with the dough hook. Check consistency and add more flour if too wet and more water if too dry. Mix for 5 minutes. Do not add flour or water after it is through mixing. Spray your counter or a surface with cooking spray. Turn dough onto sprayed surface and divide into 2 equal pieces. Shape each 1/2 into a loaf and place in greased loaf pans. Cover with a dish towel and let rise in a warm place for 25 minutes. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a rack. Wasn't that easy!:)


*To make with whole wheat flour add 1/2 cup of applesauce as part of the hot tap water and mix for 10 minutes instead of 5.

No comments: