Thursday, February 5, 2009

Creamy Chicken and Noodles

I love this recipe. It's from my friend Deborah and well it's just yummy. The original recipe didn't have exact amounts, so today I took the time to measure out just how much chicken broth and milk I put in and I also added a cup of peas. I served it with Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls.

Creamy Chicken and Noodles

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 a large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, sliced
3 - 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 quart or a 32 oz box of chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups cooked and cubed chicken ( I used the good meat from a rotisserie chicken)
8 - 9 oz wide egg noodles
2 can cream of chicken soup
4 1/2 cups milk (I use skim and it turns out great)
1 cup frozen peas (optional)

In a large stockpot melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook onion in butter till soft, add carrots and cook a little longer. Add potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are almost done. Add bouillon cubes and salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken, noodles, milk, and 2 cans of cream of chicken. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until noodles are done. Add peas and cook another few minutes.

*Tends to thicken up upon cooling. You can thin with more milk to get to a desired consistency - we like it pretty thick so I don't usually thin it, but if you add more milk or broth you can make it into a creamy chicken noodle soup.

No comments: