Monday, February 9, 2009

Creamy Ham and Potato Soup

This is another allrecipes recipe and it turned out so well. I topped the individual bowls of soup with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese and everyone (even the picky 5 year old) had seconds. One thing too, it made the perfect amount for my family (a family of 5 with 1 little little kid) so if you're family is bigger you may want to double it.

Creamy Ham and Potato Soup

3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes (for me that was 3 potatoes)
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules (I used Herbox low sodium granulated bouillon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground pepper, to taste (I used about 1/4 teaspoon)
5 tablespoons butter
5 level tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
crumbled bacon
shredded cheese

Combine potatoes, celery, onion, ham, and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Stir in chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

In a separate saucepan (or skillet - I like to make my white sauces in skillets for some unknown reason) melt the butter over medium low heat. Whisk in flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue stirring for about 4 minutes or until it is thick. Stir this mixture into the stockpot and cook soup until heated through. At this point I mashed up the potato lumps with a potato masher because my kids like smooth soups, but it'd be completely fine as is. Sprinkle individual bowl with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.

No comments: