Tuesday, March 10, 2009

No Velveeta Broccoli Cheese Soup

I have so many different broccoli cheese and cream of broccoli soup recipes. It is definitely one of my favorite types of soup (my whole family loves the stuff - yay for kids happily eating broccoli!). This particular recipe came from a recipe blog I came across a few months and I forgot which one! But it is yummy and I like the fact that it doesn't have Cheese Whiz or Velveeta in it (not that recipes with those in them are not delicious). I added the nutmeg and dry mustard for some zip and I thought it was a nice addition.


No Velveeta Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 tablespoon butter
2 small onions, chopped fine
2 cans or about 30 oz of chicken broth
5 cups broccoli florets (I used frozen)
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
pepper to taste
4 cups milk
3 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3 tablespoons Ultra Gel (or a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with a little water)

In a pot saute onions in 2 tablespoon butter. Add chicken broth and broccoli and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes while you make the white sauce.

In a saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter, add flour and whisk for a minute. Slowly add milk and cook till thickened. Add this sauce to the broth and vegetable mixture. Add pepper, dry mustard, nutmeg, salt, onion salt, and chicken bouillon granules. Add cheeses and stir well. Add ultra gel or cornstarch and simmer for about 10 minutes.

No comments: