Monday, April 16, 2012

Frog Eye Salad

I actually call this Pineapple & Marshmallow Salad so my youngest two will eat it, but it is more widely known as Frog Eye Salad. A rose (pasta salad) by any other name in this case does not smell (taste) as sweet.:) Honestly, I can't believe I haven't made this salad in the last few years. I love it! It is sweet and fruity and I love the texture - I'm a huge tapioca pudding fan too. It makes tons so I usually only take it to church activities or barbecues, but I wanted a picnicy/summery sort of dinner tonight so I made it. And of course we have tons of leftovers so I'll be having it for lunch for a while. :) Oh, make sure you get this started the night before. It needs 8 hours to sit before adding the final ingredients.

Frog Eye Salad

2 cups or 16 oz package acini di pepe pasta
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 3/4 cups pineapple juice
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz container Cool Whip, thawed
14 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
20 oz can pineapple tidbits, drained
4-5 cups multi-colored mini marshmallows
2, 11 oz cans mandarin oranges, drained

Prep the Night Before:
Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, pineapple juice, sugar, flour, and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring/whisking constantly until thickened.

Drain pasta a put in a large bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and stir until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.

Day of Serving:
Fold Cool Whip into the pasta loosening and mixing the chilled pasta mixture (I use my hands to bread up all the pasta - it's messy, but fast). Fold in pineapple tidbits, crushed pineapple, marshmallows and mandarin oranges. Cover and chill until serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum alright!  I'll have to hunt down some acini di pepe so I can whip up a batch of that. What a treat at a kids party.