Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I love this sweet and sour chicken. It's really great and my family loved it too. I got the recipe from my friend over at Carrie's Cooking Corner. Thanks for another fabulous recipe Carrie! I'm not gonna tell you this is a quick and easy dinner to prepare. The coating and frying the chicken takes some time, but it's worth it. It tastes something like General Tso Chicken that you can get at Chinese restaurants. I'm so happy with this recipe! Yay!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

2 lbs chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite size pieces
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons garlic salt
oil (I used peanut oil, but you could use canola or vegetable)

Sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt or garlic salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Pour beaten eggs into a pie plate or other shallow dish. In another pie plate or shallow dish mix cornstarch and 2 teaspoons of garlic salt. Dip chicken pieces in egg and then cornstarch and place on a large plate or platter. Heat enough oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet. Brown coated chicken in the oil, turning to brown both sides. Place browned chicken into a non-stick sprayed 9x13 baking dish. Combine sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes at 375 degrees. Serve over rice.

2 comments:

carolynalvey said...

Glad your family likes this recipe! It's a long time favorite of ours... one of the first I posted I think. Your pics are much better!

carolynalvey said...

p.s. somehow I'm logged in as Ethan, but I'm sure he would give the same compliments : ) Carolyn