Thursday, October 6, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

I'm reposting this recipe because after quite a few revisions I think I've finally come up with my favorite baked potato soup and this is it. I think it's wonderful! Like a cross between the baked potato soups at Outback and Panera. It is just a little thicker than Panera's, but I like it that way. Feel free to add more milk or broth to thin it to the consistency you like. Yum!

Baked Potato Soup


4 baking potatoes, scrubbed and baked
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk (I use skim)
1 can chicken broth (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 

Bake potatoes. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides of the potatoes into a large bowl, break up with a spoon or potato masher and set aside. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour to make a roux. Cook about 1 min whisking constantly. Gradually pour in chicken broth and milk while whisking. Cook until it starts to thicken. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, bacon, green onions, and cheese. Stir well and heat through.

If desired, garnish individual servings with shredded cheese, green onions, bacon, and or a dollop of sour cream. I like mine plain paired with warm rolls or French bread.

No comments: