Monday, October 3, 2011

Pioneer Woman Pot Roast

I watched the Pioneer Woman make this dish on her show a couple weeks back and knew I had to try it. I love pot roast, it's the perfect Sunday dinner, but have never found a very favorite recipe. This one just might be it. I loved the way this pot roast smelled as it was cooking. Delicious and homey. I used 2, 1 1/2 lb. pot roasts because I couldn't find one big one at the store, but it worked just fine (I fit them, overlapping, in the bottom of my dutch oven). I served it with Pioneer Woman's creamy mashed potatoes and my family loved it.

Pioneer Woman Pot Roast

canola oil
2 1/2 - 3 lb pot roast
kosher salt
ground black pepper
2-3 onions, cut into quarters
5-6 carrots, cut into large chunks
3-4 cups beef stock
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or a generous sprinkling of dry)
2 sprigs fresh thyme (or a generous sprinkling of dry)

Heat enough canola oil to coat the bottom of a dutch oven. Sprinkle both sides of beef with salt and pepper. Brown beef on both sides and remove to a plate. Add carrots and onion and cook until just browned. Remove to a plate. Pour in a little beef stock and whisk up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Place beef back in the pan and then the onions and carrots. Add enough beef stock to come up the sides of the beef. Place rosemary and thyme on top. Put the lid on the dutch oven and bake in a preheated 275 degree oven for 3-4 hours depending on the size of your roast (I did 4 hours). Remove roast from pan, cut into pieces, put into a serving dish and ladle juices over the roast to keep it moist. Remove onions and carrots and serve with the roast.

No comments: