Sunday, October 3, 2010

Meatballs and Macaroni and Cheese Casserole

This recipe is from the current edition of Betty Crocker Casseroles magazine. My family really liked this one and I love how easy casseroles are for busy days. I made this casserole earlier in the day and put it in the fridge until that evening when I was ready to bake it. I did adapt the recipe slightly from the original - I made the white sauce myself rather than using a package of white sauce mix (honestly I've never even seen white sauce mixes in the store and white sauce is so easy to make). It was a great twist on macaroni and cheese and because I usually have these ingredients on hand I have a feeling I'll be making this again soon.

Meatballs and Macaroni and Cheese Casserole

16 frozen Italian meatballs, thawed and cut in half (or you could use smoked or Italian sausage cut into slices)
3 cups rotini pasta
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons Italian style bread crumbs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
2 green onions chopped (about 2 tablespoons)

Heat oven to 350. Spray a 8" square pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Add milk slowly, whisking, and heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheeses and stir until melted. Stir in pasta and meatballs. Spoon into baking dish.

In a bowl combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, green onions and melted butter. Spread this mixture evenly over the pasta. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden.

No comments: