Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tortellini Sausage Soup

What a great fall soup this is! Yum! I got the recipe recently from my friend Jenny and I think it is great!! My whole family really liked it and I took secret pleasure watching all my children happily eating unrecognizable zucchini (its shredded and they never guessed!). Thanks Jenny for another great recipe!

Tortellini Sausage Soup

1/3 lb Italian sausage
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup water
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 cup apple cider
16 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 medium zucchini, grated
8-10 oz cheese tortellini (frozen or fresh)
1 tablespoon dried parsley

In a large saucepan or pot cook the sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add onion and garlic and add to the sausage. Continue cooking until onion are translucent and sausage is cooked. Add water, chicken broth, cider, tomatoes with juices, tomato sauce, carrots, basil, and oregano. Cover ad simmer for 30 minutes. Add zucchini, tortellini and parsley and cook for another 15 minutes or until tortellini is cooked through. Serve with grated Parmesan topping individual servings if desired.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You're welcome! I even found an egg-free tortellini recipe so I can make it for my kids. It's so yummy!