Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Skillet Pork Stroganoff

I got this recipe from the latest edition of Cook's Country. It was fast, easy, and tasty - so for me a perfect dinner. I must admit though that my children did not enjoy this meal. I know there will be whining and moaning when ever I serve something with mushrooms and believe me there was much moaning and whining last night. Oh well, my husband and I liked it.

Skillet Pork Stroganoff

3 tablespoons canola oil (I used a olive, soy, and canola oil blend)
8 oz cremini or button mushrooms, quartered
1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch chunks
salt and pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
splash red wine vinegar (1/2 - 1 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/4 cup sour cream
cooked egg noodles or rice

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot. Cook mushrooms until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to bowl.

Pat pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Add additional 1 tablespoon oil to empty skillet and set over medium high heat until just smoking. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer pork to bowl with mushrooms.

Add onion and remaining oil to empty skillet and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in broth, red wine vinegar, and ketchup and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and pork and cook until heated through. Let cool slightly, then whisk in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments: