Sunday, December 7, 2008

Baby Porcupines

This recipe is from my Mom and when I was little I really thought they were baby porcupines!:) We all love these meatballs and tonight we had them with mashed potatoes and buttered peas. I don't think the recipe was ever really written down until a couple of months ago I took the time to really measure everything out. These amounts are the closest I could get to the right taste, but feel free to season to your own liking.

Baby Porcupines

2 lbs ground beef
1/2 of a sleeve of saltine crackers, crushed fine
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup Minute Rice
1 onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon garlic salt
black pepper (a few good cranks of the pepper mill)

Mix all of the ingredients together, kneading till everything is well incorporated. Form into balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until meat is done all the way through (if you use a dark non-stick cookie sheet it takes less time). While baking make 4 packets of Schilling/McCormick brown gravy mixes. When meatballs are done put them into the gravy and serve with mashed or baked potatoes or over noodles.

No comments: