Monday, December 29, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

I've been making some version of this chicken noodle soup since I was teenager. The original recipe came from one of those grocery store check-out aisle Pillsbury pamphlet cookbooks, but over the years I've changed the recipe so much that it doesn't even resemble the original and I think the flavor has improved a ton. Really I think it is sauteing the raw vegetables that makes it yummy - everything tastes better with butter, right?!


Chicken Noodle Soup

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced (I always try to include the leaves from the heart of the celery for more flavor)
kosher salt
3 boxes of chicken broth (the 32 oz size)
2 cups frozen veggie mixture (I always use the one w/ peas, carrots, green beans and corn)
3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken from Costco)
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
3 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
2 cups dry noodles (what ever kind you like - I usually use egg noodles or rotini pasta)
2 1/2 tablespoons Ultra Gel (or 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with water)

Melt the butter in a pot. Saute onions, carrots, and celery in butter and sprinkle with kosher salt to season them. Cook until vegetables are tender and onions are translucent. Pour in the broth. Add frozen veggies, chicken, onion salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, and crushed chicken bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil and add noodles. Cook at medium temp for about 10 minutes and check broth to see if it is seasoned to your taste - adding more salt or pepper as needed. Whisk in the Ultra Gel or cornstarch mixture and let simmer for at least 10 more minutes.

No comments: