Thursday, July 16, 2009

Homemade Applesauce

All I can say is homemade applesauce is SO good!! It was a perfect side dish for pork tenderloin. I hadn't ever made applesauce before and now I know I will all the time. It tastes like smooth apple pie filling. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about how good it was.

Homemade Applesauce

4 lbs apples, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
1/2 cup sugar (you can cut this in half if you'd like less sweet applesauce)
pinch of salt
1 cup water
cinnamon
1 tablespoon melted butter

Put apple chunks, sugar, salt, and water into a pot. Cook over medium high heat with lid on for about 20 minutes, stirring every couple minutes. In 2 batches place cooked apples in blender and pulse till it reaches desired consistency - my kids like it fairly smooth, but I would probably prefer it nice and chunky. Place blended applesauce into a bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon till it reaches desired cinnamon-ness. Add melted butter and stir it in. Leave out at room temp till it cools down slightly, serve.

No comments: