Thursday, March 12, 2015

Easy Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes

I would have to say that mashed potatoes has got to be one of my favorite foods and it's been a favorite, like most people, since I was a little kid. Oh the sweet ambrosia that is creamy mashed potatoes. Growing up my Mom always made real mashed potatoes. I had no idea what instant potatoes were until I was served them, ice cream scooper style, in my elementary school cafeteria. Oh my Mom loathes instant mashed potatoes and when I got married I found out my husband also loathes instant mashed potatoes. He doesn't even like the Kentucky Fried Chicken version, which I have cravings for every now and then. The only reason I keep instant potato flakes around is to make potato rolls. Any who, making real mashed potatoes can be time consuming, so here's an alternative, crock pot mashed potatoes! Genius. The only problem is that they aren't quite so fluffy as the time consuming, boiled, then mashed potatoes. If you are ok with that this is the recipe for you. They cook all day and then when you are ready to eat, it only takes a matter of minutes to mash them up and serve them. They are certainly better than instant potatoes.:) I served these potatoes with the crock pot roast and gravy that I posted earlier this week. These potatoes were awesome with that gravy.

Easy Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes

5 lbs red or yukon gold potatoes, chopped (unpeeled)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 - 1 1/2 cups cream, half and half, or milk, warmed

Place chopped potatoes into slow cooker, add chicken broth, and butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or until potatoes are tender.

Mash potatoes with a potato masher right in the slow cooker. Add some of the warmed cream (or half and half or milk) and beat with a hand held electric mixer. Add more cream until you get the desired creamy texture. Serve right away or cover and keep warm on the warm setting until serving time (up to 2 hours).

No comments: