Monday, May 7, 2012

Orange Crescent Rolls

I have tried so many orange roll recipes, but never found one I was completely satisfied with. But I LOVE orange rolls, so I wanted to try my own version by turning one of my very favorite roll recipes (this one) into orange rolls and it worked with great results. This will definitely be my go-to orange roll recipe from now on. My family loved them and my 5 year old told me these rolls were the best thing I have ever made. That made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.:) This recipe makes a lot - 32 ooey gooey wonderful rolls - so they are great to share with friends or neighbors.

Orange Crescent Rolls

Ingredients:
Dough
3 teaspoons yeast (I use SAF)
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes (I use Better Crocker Potato Buds)
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 - 6 1/2 cups white bread flour

Filling
5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
1/4 cup sugar
zest of 1 orange

Directions:
In the bowl of a mixer (I use a Bosch) combine yeast and warm water. Add butter, dry milk, sugar, mashed potato flakes, eggs, salt, and 3 cups of flour. Mix with dough hook until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough that pulls away from sides of bowl (for me it is usually 3 more cups). Knead with dough hook on medium high speed for 3 minutes.

Turn flour onto a floured surface and form dough into a smooth ball. Divide the dough in half. Roll each portion into a large circle (15-16 inches across). Using a butter knife or offset spatula, spread dough with about 2 1/2 tablespoons of softened butter. In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup sugar and the zest of 1 orange. Spread half of the sugar/zest mixture over the butter and smooth out evenly with a butter knife or offset spatula. Cut the dough pizza style (with a pizza cuttter) into 16 wedges. Roll up the wedges from the wide end, making sure to pinch the ends into the dough well so they don't unravel. Form rolls into a crescent shape and place on a non-stick sprayed baking sheet at least 2 inches apart with the end tucked under the roll (this helps them to not unravel as well).

Cover rolls with non-stick sprayed plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes, until golden on top and bottom. Brush rolls while still hot with glaze recipe below. Allow rolls to sit on cookie sheets till glaze is set, then move rolls with a spatula to a wire rack to cool (or eat them warm - SO good!).

Glaze
juice of 1 large orange (about 1/2 cup)
zest of 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
powdered sugar (about 1 lb.)

In bowl of a mixer combine orange juice, zest, and extract. Add enough powdered sugar to create a glaze, about 1 lb. Brush this glaze onto rolls while still hot.


No comments: