Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My New Favorite Sugar Cookie


I thought my sugar cookies were awesome, well these are better! They are moist, soft, thick and have just a hint of nutmeg. I love them. And the dough was so easy to work with - a definite bonus. I think I'll make them from now on. I think it's that little bit of nutmeg that sealed the deal for me. Thank you thank you to Whitney at My Favorite Recipes : Tried and True for this winner!

My New Favorite Sugar Cookie


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 1/4 cups flour (+ 1/4 cup for high altitude)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and beat. Add vanilla and sour cream and beat. In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Add to wet ingredients and mix until well combined.

Roll out dough on a floured surface to about a 1/4" thickness (I think I probably rolled it out a bit thicker because I like thick and soft cookies) and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. You do not want them to brown at all so they stay nice and soft. Let cool for a minute on cookie sheets then transfer to cooling racks. Once cookies are cool frost and decorate with sprinkles, candy, etc. Makes 20-24 cookies depending on size of cookie cutters. (I got 21 cookies with a standard size pumpkin cookie cutter.)

No comments: