Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Freezer Peaches

I love home canned peaches. Nothing compares! But I haven't canned peaches in years because it's so time consuming (and I don't actually own all the canning supplies - last time I canned peaches with about 6 years ago with a group of friends). I've found that freezing peaches is a great way preserve peaches without all the mess and freezer peaches are nearly as good (not as good surely but a close second and way better than canned or frozen peaches you buy at the store). All you have to do is thaw a bag and there you go, fresh peaches with dinner. My son could eat bowl after bowl...

Freezer Peaches

peaches - blanched, peeled, pitted and sliced
Fruit Fresh powder - 1 tablespoon for each quart of sliced peaches
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar for each quart of sliced peaches depending on the sweetness desired

Blanche peaches in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove peaches and place in a big bowl of cold water. Slice the peaches in half, take out the pits, then peel off the skins and cut into slices. Place peach slices into a large pitcher with measurements on the side (so you'll know how many quarts of peaches you end up with). After all peaches are prepared and you've measured to see how many quarts you have, put peaches into a large bowl. Add Fruit Fresh and sugar according to how many quarts of peaches. Mix in the Fruit Fresh powder and sugar gently until sugar dissolves. Place peach mixture into quart size ziplock bags (I put 2 heaping cupfuls into each bag).


Amounts/Measurements I used today:
6 lbs ripe peaches (this yielded about 2 1/2 quarts of sliced peaches)
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons Fruit Fresh powder

Prepared this made 3 quart size bags of peaches for me so I guess that's about 2 lbs of fruit per bag. I hope to make it to the farmers market this weekend to get some more - the peaches are gorgeous and sweet right now!

No comments: