Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Crockpot Pulled Pork Sandwiches

This is one of my hubby's favorite dinners so I made it for him on Father's Day. It turned out great. I am convinced that the crockpot is the best way to cook a pork shoulder roast - it always turns out so moist and tasty.

Crockpot Pulled Pork Sandwiches

6-7 lb pork shoulder roast
chicken broth
2 bottles of your favorite barbecue sauce
hamburger buns or large rolls split in half

The Night Before:
Around 10:30 or 11pm the night before I want to serve this I put the pork roast into the crockpot with the fattiest side up. Pour in enough chicken broth to come half way up the side of the pork roast. Set to low and cook for about 17 hours or until about 3:30 or 4pm the next day.

The Day of:
Once pork roast has cooked for about 17 hours remove roast from crockpot onto a cutting board. Pour chicken broth and drippings out of the crockpot and discard. Shred the good meat from the roast, discarding the fat and gristle. (As I shred the pork I put the shredded meat into a large bowl and sprinkle it with chicken broth to keep it nice and moist.) Once all pork is shredded place meat back into the crockpot and add 1 bottle of barbecue sauce, stirring to mix it in. Heat on high till meat is heated through. Serve on hamburger buns or split rolls with additional barbecue sauce on top of the meat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I wanted to let you know that I found your blog a few days ago and have enjoyed reading your recipies and comments! I just put the pork in the crockpot and can't wait to taste it tomorrow. Keep the yummy recipes coming! Thanks!