Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Banana Bread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

Okay it is obvious. I. Must. Stop. Eating. Banana. Treats... Oh I just love banana goodies though. These banana bread bars were SO good, especially with the cream cheese frosting. So rich. I actually have a teensy bit of a stomach ache right now because I ate too much. And I still have 5 bananas just begging to be turned into banana bread. But I'm going to stop. I must stop. I'm going to freeze my overly ripe bananas and make banana bread at some future date and so as to not widen my butt too much by making it now.


Banana Bread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 3)
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup flour (+ 2 T. for high altitude)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.

Mix bananas, sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl with a spoon. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix flour mixture into the banana mixture, stirring to combine, but don't over mix. Add in the mini chocolate chips.

Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting. Cut into bars.

To make frosting:
Mix butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gradually add powdered sugar with a spoon and mix until very smooth.

No comments: