Saturday, January 25, 2014

Turkey (or chicken) Alphabet Soup

Can you believe I'm still using the turkey leftovers from Christmas Eve? I froze a bunch of bags of diced turkey after Christmas Eve and I'm so glad I did because it makes me try new turkey recipes like this one. I found this alphabet soup on Pinterest and it was so yummy and definitely a kid pleaser. All 4 of my kids loved this one. It's a wonderful, warm, and comforting soup - perfect for the flu season.:)

* As a note: I use Ultra-Gel a lot to thicken soups, but you can use cornstarch mixed with a little cold water.

Turkey (or chicken) Alphabet Soup

3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 stalks celery, chopped
12 oz package petite carrots
2, 32 oz containers chicken stock
2 cups water
4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
8 oz alphabet pasta
2-3 cups cooked and cubed turkey or chicken
1 teaspoon onion salt
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons Ultra Gel (or 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water)

Melt butter in a large pot. Add onions, celery, and carrots and saute for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add chicken stock, water, and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil. Add alphabet pasta, cubed turkey or chicken, onion salt, salt and pepper to taste, and Ultra Gel. Stir well and bring to a boil again. Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

No comments: