Thursday, January 16, 2014

Creamy Wagon Wheel Pasta and Ham

This is a great, family pleasing, 30 minute meal that's easy to throw together on a week night. I hardly ever use wagon wheel pasta, but my kids thought it was fun and this has got to be one of my baby's favorite meals ever (something about that wagon wheel pasta being easy to grab and shove in her mouth). I pick up recipes all over the place and think this one was from flipping through a magazine at my son's orthodontist's office (if I remember right it was a Taste of the South magazine). I served it with some French bread and it was quick and easy.

Creamy Wagon Wheel Pasta and Ham

1 lb wagon wheel pasta
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2, 15 oz jars Alfredo sauce (I used Classico)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon parsley
2 cups cubed ham
Parmesan for serving

Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt the butter. Saute onions, celery, and carrots until most of the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the Alfredo sauces. Cover and reduce heat to medium low, simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cooked pasta, peas, parsley, and ham. Cook until heated through. Add reserved pasta water as needed to loosen sauce to desired consistency. Heat through and serve with shredded Parmesan if desired.

No comments: