Sunday, March 11, 2012

Flour Tortillas (made with oil instead of shortening)

These are my new favorite tortillas. The dough comes together easily just with a wooden spoon and then some kneading. And the recipe uses canola oil instead of shortening so that's great. Of course this is a bit more work than buying a package of tortillas, but homemade tortillas are SO much better. I made these tortillas for tacos tonight and they were a big hit.

Flour Tortillas (made with oil instead of shortening)

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup hot tap water
1/3 cup canola oil (olive or vegetable oil work as well)

In a large bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in hot water and oil. Stir until dough comes together. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth - about 10-12 times - adding a little flour or water as needed. Divide dough into 12 pieces and roll these pieces into balls. Cover with a towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Roll out each portion into a 8 inch circle. Heat a large non-stick skillet and cook tortillas over medium heat until browned, flip and brown the other side. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Julie Snow said...

Oh wow! I have been looking for an easy tortilla recipe and these look awesome! Thanks! I will let you know when I try them!

Amber Joy said...

Are you really certain about canol;a oil being better than shortening? I'd encourage you to read about each. In my opinion, choosing a non- hydrogenated, organic palm shortening would be a healthier option than using canola. Like I said, it's just my opinion, but I hope I have piqued your interest into learning more about canola oil.

Jenni said...

I like using oil in my tortillas because the dough comes together easier, olive oil works as well, but feel free to adapt this recipe to what ever kind of fat you'd like to use.