Sunday, January 29, 2012

Skillet Swedish Meatballs

I haven't made this recipe in such a long time and I'm not sure why. I used to make it all the time when my husband and I were newly-weds. I got the recipe from our first married ward's Relief Society cookbook (I cut it in half back then since it was just the 2 of us) and we loved it. Well anywho, I made it tonight and it is still super good. I love the nutmeg and allspice in the meatballs.

Skillet Swedish Meatballs

2 lbs ground beef
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (I used freeze-dried)
1 cup bread crumbs (fresh bread crumbs made in food processor works best)
2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 teaspoon allspice
shortening or oil for frying
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk

In a large bowl mix together beef, parsley, bread crumbs, salt, eggs, nutmeg, onions, and allspice. Mush together and then shape into 1inch balls. Melt enough shortening to cover the bottom of a large skillet, or use enough oil to coat the bottom. Brown meatballs in batches, making sure to brown all sides. Remove browned meatballs to a foil covered cookie sheet. When all meatballs are browned pour off cooking oil/melted shortening and discard. Return browned meatballs to the skillet. In a bowl combine soups and milk and pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over cooked egg noodles or rice.

No comments: