Thursday, August 20, 2009

Favorite Broccoli Cheese Soup

I know, I know, how can my favorite (and my family's favorite) broccoli cheese soup have Cheez Whiz in it?? Well all I can say is because it tastes SO good. Seriously all my kids can't get enough of this soup and that includes my very picky 5 year old. I got this recipe back in the day from ZCMI when I was a newly-wed. In the kitchen department they had envelopes that you could buy at the register full of colored index cards with different"Grandma's Recipes" on them. Does anyone else remember them?? This particular recipe is from the "Grandma's Soups" recipe collection and I've always loved it (though I have altered it slightly according to our taste over the years). So creamy. So good.

Favorite Broccoli Cheese Soup

5 1/2 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
2-3 cups frozen broccoli
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 sticks of butter (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Cheez Whiz
1 1/2 tablespoons Ultra Gel or about 2 T. cornstarch mixed with a little water (optional)

In a pot combine water, bouillon, broccoli, and onion. Boil until onion and broccoli are tender. In a small saucepan melt butter; add flour and whisk until smooth. Mix butter/flour mixture into the soup pot. Add Cheez Whiz and stir until all the Cheez Whiz has melted into the soup. Whisk in Ultra Gel if using at this point. Let soup simmer over low heat for about 3 minutes. At this point I use a whisk to break up all the broccoli because that's how my family likes it. Serve individual servings with a little shredded cheese on top.

No comments: