Monday, February 7, 2011

Moist Devil's Food Bundt Cake

I made this cake for a Wuthering Heights book club that I recently hosted. I love Wuthering Heights! I made a dish for each of the main characters: Catherine, Heathcliff, and Edgar. And this was the dish I made that represented Heathcliff. Yep, Heathcliff is very naughty and devilish so I thought devil's food cake was appropriate. (If you are interested I made chips and cranberry salsa for Cathy. Cathy is quite spicey. And cream puffs for Edgar.) This cake is super moist and oh so chocolatey.

Moist Devil's Food Bundt Cake

1 devil's food cake mix
1 small package chocolate instant pudding
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

Place all ingredients except chocolate chips, in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for 1 minute. Scrap down sides of bowl and mix again on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Pour batter into a well greased bundt pan. Bake 45-50 minutes at 350. Cool in pan for 20 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate. I glazed the cake after it cooled with a simple chocolate ganache glaze, recipe below.

Chocolate Ganache
1 pkg semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
heavy cream

Melt chips in a double boiler or pyrex mixing bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Add heavy cream, stirring, until sauce reaches desired consistency. I added 1-2 cups of cream. Pour into a large measuring cup and pour over cooled cake. Allow ganache to set up before cutting.

1 comment:

Alvey family said...

I love your choices of food for each character! Very fitting. You are so creative Jenni! I just wish I could have been there.