Sunday, December 8, 2013

Creamy Creamed Corn

I think creamed corn is a rather polarizing vegetable - either you love it or hate it. Well I think this recipe can change your mind if you're in the "hate it" camp. It is not like the canned stuff at all and it is oh so decadently creamy and yummy. How can you go wrong with corn, cream, and butter?? It's really good. I made it for Thanksgiving and I think I changed a lot of negative opinions on creamed corn with this recipe.

Creamy Creamed Corn

2, 20 oz packages frozen corn (40 oz total)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons flour
ground black pepper to taste (I use about 1/4 teaspoon)

In a large saucepan/pot, combine frozen corn, cream, milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together melted butter and flour. Pour this flour mixture into the corn and stir well. Bring to a boil again and cook until thickened. Add pepper to taste and more salt if necessary.

2 comments:

Julia said...

That sounds yummy! I used to get dried corn at the Amish market - you would soak the dried corn in cream all night long before fixing it up, and it was delicious too :)

Jenni said...

Julia, that does sound good - how I miss the Amish market!