Monday, July 15, 2013

Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken

This is a great slow cooker recipe! The chicken turns out to moist and I love the sweet teriyaki sauce. I usually have all these ingredients on hand (I buy the big bags of boneless skinless chicken thighs at Costco) so I know I'll be making this often. My kids and husband all had seconds and loved it.

Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken

8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used 6 thighs and 2 breasts because that's what I had on hand)
3/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (I used Kikoman's)
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
2-3 tablespoons cold water
cooked rice

Place chicken in slow cooker (fresh or frozen). In a separate bowl combine: soy sauce, sugar, apple cider vinegar, ground ginger, garlic, and pepper; pour over chicken in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 4-6 hours, depending on if you use fresh or frozen chicken or cook on high for 2-3 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred on a cutting board, set aside.

Strain the juices from the slow cooker into a saucepan. Skim off fat if necessary. In a small bowl combine equal parts of cornstarch and cold water, stirring until smooth. Add the cornstarch mixer to the juices in saucepan, whisking, and bring to a boil. Boil until thickened.

Put chicken pieces back in slow cooker and pour the thickened sauce over the chicken. Cook together on low for about 1/2 hour. Serve over rice.

No comments: