Monday, June 4, 2012

Slightly Sweet Crockpot Roast

This recipe is from Six Sisters' and it's really good and interesting. When I looked at the list of ingredients I must admit I was concerned - I don't normally like to dose all my food with Coke and ketchup - but every once in a while what the heck (yes, I grew up in Utah and still say heck occasionally). The roast was tender, moist, and slightly sweet and the carrots and onion were seriously yummy stewed all day in the crazy Coke sauce. My favorite roast is still Pioneer Woman's pot roast recipe, but this was a fun change and my family liked it.

Slightly Sweet Crock Pot Roast

3-4 lb sirloin roast (look for some good marbling in the roast or it will be dry)
12 oz Coca Cola
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup Heinz chili sauce
3/4 cup ketchup
1 packet dry onion soup mix
4 onions, peeled and quartered
5 or more large carrots, peeled and chunked

Place onions and carrots in the bottom of the crockpot. Nestle the roast into the vegetables, making sure there are vegetables under the roast. In a bowl combine Coke, brown sugar, chili sauce, ketchup, and onion soup mix. Pour over roast and vegetables. Cook on low for 8 hours.

No comments: