Thursday, March 14, 2013

Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

It seems like my recipe blog has become a Crock Pot blog! Here is yet another slow cooker recipe, and it is SO good. I think this soup might go into my regular dinner rotation; everyone loved it! The huge bonus is that it was easy to make and I think my kids liked it just as much as my chicken noodle soup. The recipe is from Jamie Cooks It Up, but I modified it just slightly. Thanks Jamie for another great recipe.

Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

2 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
3 large carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
10 cups chicken stock or broth (that's 2 big boxes & 1 can)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed bay leaves
3 cups cooked and cubed chicken (*can cook chicken in soup, read below for alternate directions)
1 cup rice
1 can cream of chicken soup
salt & pepper

In a skillet or large saucepan, melt butter. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are softened, but not browned. Pour the cooked vegetables into your crock pot. Add chicken stock/broth, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and chicken. Cook on low for about 5-6 hours. Add rice and cook another hour. Add cream of chicken before serving and allow to heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

*To cook chicken in soup: Follow the directions as stated, but use 3-4 uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts in place of cubed chicken. After cooking on low for 5-6 hours, remove chicken, shred or chop up and return to crock pot. Follow remaining directions as stated above.

3 comments:

Libby said...

I can't believe no one has commented! I absolutely LOVE this soup. Thanks so much for the recipe.

Mel said...

I just cooked this tonight because my boyfriend has his wisdom teeth removed this morning. It was delicious and just what we both needed. He even ate three bowls of it!!

Unknown said...

This is still my fave soup. I make it all the time